How To Cope On Extreme Count Days

How To Cope On Extreme Count Days

Postby zielwolf » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:55 pm

I find my hayfever medicines are fairly effective, but on extreme count days nothing works. There have been 3 days so far this year where my hayfever has been so bad that it has been totally debilitating. My eyes just an absolute mess and antihistamine eyedrops do nothing. I have serious trouble breathing, I'm wheezing like an emphysematic and my chest is really itchy and I am literally so sick and exhausted I just have to stay in bed. Of course it's difficult explaining this to your boss - "You want a day off because you have hayfever?? Come on, man up there mate, it's only hayfever!" "No, you don't understand. It's like this and this and this." "Yea right, did ya have a big night or something!" Does anyone have any tips or ideas? I use Flixonase for respiratory symptoms (excellent medicine!), Telfast for general control and Albalon-A for the eyes.

Re: How To Cope On Extreme Count Days

Postby Ed@MelbournePollen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Thanks for sharing how you handle your hay fever zielwolf. Maybe ask your GP or chemist what they'd recommend.

Postby AllergyMan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:01 am

I know exactly where you are coming from. I think most people in general have a hard time imagining how bad hayfever can affect others. They will usually ask, "have you taken an antihistamine?", but like you said on some days that doesn't help at all. I suggest going to your GP and asking about immunotherapy. They will do a skin prick test for various grasses (and whatever else you might think you have), and from there either you give you one of two options: subcutaneous injections, or sublingual drops. I've been on this for almost 3 years and reduce the number of bad days from probably 20 or so in a year, down to maybe 5

Postby Cathy29 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi Ziewolf,

My doctor gave me Avamys and it works very well. Normally even on low days I get sneezy so even then I take Telfast. But when I took Avamys I did not get any symptom even on the last extreme day. I did however also take 60mg of Telfast just to be sure.
The day I bought it was a low day and even with Telfast and previously spraying rhinocort I was so miserable with the watery eyes and sneezing (whch is why I decided to buy it even though it was rather expensive). When the extreme day came around, everything just felt so normal. No itchiness, no watery eyes.

Return to “Melbourne”