Airborne mould counts & thunderstorm asthma

For discussing allergy-related airways conditions such as hayfever, nasal symptoms, sinus symptoms, asthma, wheezing, cough etc.
GAtherton

Airborne mould counts & thunderstorm asthma

Postby GAtherton » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:03 pm

I run the patient & carer support services for the National Aspergillosis Centre in Manchester, UK - we have several thousand users including several in Australia.

Firstly I have today been made aware of the airborne mould warnings available on your service (I think a text message was received?) and that is something our patients are finding of great use as many are fungal sensitive and experience breathing difficulties during the times of year when mould levels are high so thank you for a great service! I will be adding your service to our listed resources at nacpatients.org.uk

Do you have a little more information I can give our patients - what parts of Australia do you monitor and what area's do your warnings apply to? Do you have year round mould count levels we could use to predict future issues according to time of year? Is there any chance you could make your mould monitoring service more prominent on your website as all I can see is information about pollen.

On another issue - we have noted that thunderstorm asthma is though to have a fungal element - see http://life-worldwide.org/thunderstorm-asthma Do you have airborne fungal counts for the areas recently affected by thunderstorm asthma?

Many thanks

Graham Atherton
Janet@BrisbanePollen

Re: Airborne mould counts & thunderstorm asthma

Postby Janet@BrisbanePollen » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Many thanks for your comments Graham. Please direct Australian users to the AusPollen sites as these may be useful to them.
BrisbanePollen and some of our other sites also count Alternaria. Regular updates will be posted to the BrisbanePollen.com.au webpage.
We are aware that Alternaria can be a trigger for respiratory allergies and has been an important trigger of thunderstorm asthma overseas.
Previously, thunderstorm asthma events in Australia have been attributed to grass pollen triggers.

https://theconversation.com/keeping-one ... thma-69408

Return to “Respiratory Allergy”